Pan Macmillan South Africa's 2019 submissions period has closed. We are no longer accepting submissions.
Guidelines for submitting your work to Pan Macmillan
Pan Macmillan South Africa publishes books for the general market in the following categories:
· General fiction
· Literary fiction
· General non-fiction
Due to the priorities of our local publishing programme, Pan Macmillan will unfortunately not consider submissions for poetry, plays, religion and self-help and children’s books.
As an African publishing house, we believe in publishing books by African authors and/or books that deal with contemporary African themes and issues. We are extremely selective in accepting works for publication. Only works of the highest writing standard, level of originality and market appeal will be considered.
All submissions should contain:
· A covering letter and 500-word synopsis along with three completed chapters of your manuscript (in either Word or pdf format).
· For non-fiction: a detailed chapter outline with the first three chapters (preferably) or several selected finished chapters. Please do not submit the entire manuscript as we will request this from you if we are interested in seeing more of your submission.
· For fiction: a brief (one page or less) synopsis of the plot and the first three chapters (preferably). Please do not submit the entire manuscript.
· A note on the author’s view of the potential market/readership of the book.
· A note on any competing books and what might distinguish the author’s book from these.
· The author’s contact details.
All material must be typed. Please ensure all pages are numbered consecutively. No handwritten submissions will be considered. Due to the number of submissions received, Pan Macmillan is not able to enter into correspondence regarding unsuccessful submissions.
If you have submitted your work with us we will contact you via email if further information is required from you. However, if you have not heard from us six weeks from the close of submissions (24th June 2019) please consider your submission unsuccessful.
Please note that Pan Macmillan does not accept any children's book submissions at present.